- Cellular concept deals with reduction of service area by employing high power transmitters that offer high capacity in a limited spectrum allocation.
- In a geographic region, each base station is assigned with different group of channels from the total number of channels available to the entire system.
- This distribution cochannels reduce the interference between the base stations and mobile users under their control.
- The channels can be reused until the interference between cochannel stations is at acceptable level.
- The number of base stations increase with increase in demand for service, hence, providing additional radio capacity within the radio spectrum.
- Cellular concept is responsible for manufacturing every piece of user equipment of large area such that any mobile can be accessed within the range.
Advantages of cellular system:
- Problem of spectral congestion is solved by cellular system.
- It offers high capacity with limited spectrum.
- This high capacity is achieved by limiting the coverage area of each base station to a small geographic area termed as cell.
- In cellular system each high power transmitter is replaced with several low power transmitters.
- Each base station is allocated a portion of channels and nearby cells are allocated completely different channels.
- All available channels are allocated to small number of base stations.